Thursday 23 October 2014

Production Diary 11 - magazine advertisement initial design layout

This week we started to look at the digipak and magazine advertisement for the album.

We firstly looked through previous student’s work and picked out point which were good and parts which were not as good so we know what we should imitate and what we should avoid. For example, we found that the most successful ones were fairly simple which made it look professional. The less successful ones generally has a lot going on. I therefore learnt that I should keep my magazine advert and digipak design more simple to achieve a professional look.

Afterwards, we started to create our own magazine advertisement in InDesign. This was our very first version which is just a brief idea of what we plan to create. Some of the things we included on it were: artist and album name, reviews with stars and date of release.

After my teacher demonstrated to us I learnt how to create the stars for the reviews. This was interesting as it we usually use shapes to create each individual star but for this we quickly created consistent looking stars which looked professional.

I selected some fonts from dafont previously and I used them for the text I had added on the magazine advert. I decided to use 2 different fonts which matched well as this would give show a bit of variation on the advert yet it wouldn’t look like they don’t belong in one place.

I created a hierarchy for the text on my advert as it is important to make sure that the most important bit of text is much bigger. I made the artist name and album name the biggest and then the release date and finally the other information including the stars and reviews.


In progression of the making of my music video, I have made some of the props for my music video. For example I created “123” on some paper which I plan to hang on some string and film it using a pan shot. I also wrote some lyrics on an envelope and letter which I intend to use. To match the lyrics I also drew a picture of a boat and an anchor.

No comments :

Post a Comment